tiistai 8. maaliskuuta 2011

For me...Something meaninful.


Well, so we were in the villages from the 19-22.02. I can really say that it was one of the best experiences in my life, and the most meaningful by far. We visited 4 villages and we supervised the progressing of the development work that has started in those places. The welcoming in the first village was amazing! All the children had their best dresses on, the people had write with chalk in their front yards: “Welcome” and drown flowers and decorations. Everything was cleaned and the children danced and sang to us. And I was so absolutely touched. I just loved being here, share “chai”(tea) and experiencing their excitement towards developing their own community. I just couldn’t avoid crying. They even gave us honour coconuts to thank us for going there!
The other 3 villages were as good experiences, so many people, so many smiles. In one of those villages we went by night time, and everything was dark, but you could see each one of the stars in the cosmos. They lead us to a hall that was illuminated with candles. With the accompaniment of the drums everyone started singing at loud in their mother tongue. Suddenly I recognized the words in hindi: thank you jesus, hallelujah and addonai. So we spent the end of the evening worshiping God. One of the things that made me meditate about all the things that I had seen, was that one of the guys in our team told me that all the villages that we had visited were inhabited only by, what they call “untouchables”. This are people who has no value in society here, and just hearing all that they even nowadays have to bear is unbearable. 

We had done with Linda this alphabet thing, painted and plasticized. For English lessons that we have been planning.  And while we did it it didn´t felt like anything important. But when we were there it started to feel like the most meaningful thing that I have done in my entire life. Because it may be can help really someone. And I just were so grateful that I can do something, anything.
It´s fun that just trough games, songs and a little yellow ukulele you can establish a great connection with people of any part of the world.  When we were leaving the children brought us the lyrics of the songs that they had sung to us, and it made me cry… for a change. 

In the last village we were my sandal went broken so I could use that detail to made up something to say to them as encourage to continue their work there. Most of the time we spent in meetings finding out how they are developing this project, that educates them in all kind of healthcare and to have initiative to improve their standard of living.
So the whole thing was mind blowing. I could go back to those villages any time. But unfortunately we maybe aren´t going back. But we´ll continue to do the job from a distance.

1 kommentti:

  1. Katy tú eres el único blog que leo de cabo a rabo...aunque me piquen los ojos de sueño!!

    Te quiero,y admiro muchísimo!

    lola

    VastaaPoista